Wednesday 25 February 2009

Street 03 - Bethlehem Market

My third session on the street took me to the Bethlehem market, not far from home. This time I used a 35mm lens, and I found it extremely suitable for the job. While the 50mm had made me wish for a wider angle more than once, I felt the 35mm range to be perfect for such a rich context. Also, I kept the ISO setting higher than in earlier occasions, ranging from 200 to 400, which gave me a full dynamic range in most shots. So, I guess I will be working more frequently in this ISO zone, going lower than 160 only in the open sunlight. Does it make sense?
The market, a shadowy area, was full of inspiring characters and situations. People were going about their grocery shopping at ease, in the midst of piles of vegetables and hanging pieces of meat. I often searched for the advantage of elevated standpoints, allowing broad views from above.
Holding a camera is a big incentive for looking at things in different ways and being creative, or simply feeling awake. If I didn't have to take photos, I wouldn't be looking for details, angles, and light conditions. As trivial as it may sound, that's the way it is. So, whenever I'm out in the street I realize that it's not just the content of my memory card what matters, but the experience itself of living certain moments, of being alert. I guess that street photography is a key to experiencing life, before anything else. I've had this feeling several times. The actual outcome of each session is indeed relevant, but I think that it's important to be able to appreciate life as it unfolds before our eyes, with a sense of gratitude for what is simply taking place. Of course, this cannot be held true for any kind situation, as it all depends on the subject matter, but in general I am attracted by positive scenes, the more so when they happen in unlikely places. I like to look for expressions of optimism, hope and endurance, even if I realize such things don't often make the news. And I am aware that when I look outside I am probably searching to "fill-in some blanks" inside, which is quite the opposite of matching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment